Friday, May 5, 2017

Five for Friday

I love this time of year, but it is so busy! Even when you move on toddler time. Caroline insists on walking just about everywhere we go, which is great, but it takes about four times as long. Some highlights from our week...

1. Some of my favorite childhood memories involve a big red van that would arrive every couple of years from Atlanta (and then later Pennsylvania), and Nancy and her girls would come tumbling out. They were full of fun stories, presents and laughter. Nancy's grandmother and my great-grandmother, Mammy, were sisters and she was the flower girl at my grandparents' wedding. This week she'd been to her high school reunion in Biloxi via Senatobia and Jackson. We met at the Starbucks in Commerce, Georgia for a few hours of coffee and talking. It was fabulous.




2. My friend, Crady, writes for the blog Memphis Moms and wrote a very compelling essay about her son, Cooper, and learning to let go of the things she can't control and accepting help when offered. All lessons I'm {slowly} learning. If you have a second read, Breathe In. Breathe Out. Let it Go. Crady's openness over the last six years about her journey with Cooper has really helped me as we've learned to deal with our own "medically complex" child. Who, by the way, loved a new swing he got to try in OT this week!


3. Speaking of accepting help, my friend Elizabeth kept C and D one afternoon while I ran a quick errand. Elizabeth is one of the mentors in the Side-by-Side ministries Bible Study I attend and, as an attending's wife, is so encouraging that we will forget the horrors of residency very quickly. Also, in Lowe's parking lot a very nice man came up and offered to carry a fan to the car for me as I was trying to wrangle the stroller, Caroline walking and a humongous box across the parking lot. People here are so nice - this is not the first time a complete stranger has said, "you look overwhelmed, let me help."


4. Laughter really is the best medicine. We started watching Great News on NBC this week and it's so good. I'm also trying to finish Big Little Lies on HBO during nap time. The problem is I'm so worn out I keep falling asleep and having to start over! But it's really good. My only qualm with it is the setting was changed from Australia to California. The acting - Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman play two of the main characters - is fabulous.

5. I'm reading The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle. It's her marriage memoir and just like her one on motherhood - it's laugh out loud funny. I'm also trying to re-read Hope Heals. But, once again, I keep nodding off as soon as I sit down!


And it's Derby weekend! If you're planning a party, here's some inspiration from one we had a few years ago. We're looking forward to Ryan having the entire weekend off before a new rotation starts next week. Happy Friday!

No comments: