Friday, April 14, 2017

Pretending We're on Spring Break

Greenville schools have been on Spring Break this week so we've pretended we are too! This town clears out, and it seems everyone we know is in the mountains or at the beach. The good news is parking downtown has been possible and traffic is nonexistent. All Duncan's therapies were cancelled except for his early interventionist. She has now come to us in tornados and ice - not much stops Lizzie and we love her for it!


My mom has been here, and we've had so much fun.


On Saturday Duncan turned 11 months old! (He can't believe it either or is that expression just shock that Siggi took the bottle out of his mouth!?!). On Monday we celebrated Mom's birthday with a fancy blueberry muffin breakfast. She declined for us to celebrate her birthday in months :-)



As many times as Mom has visited in the last three years, we've never been able to have lunch outside at my favorite lunch spot, Passerelle Bistro. The patio overlooks the waterfall and bridge at Falls Park. It was Duncan's first time to sit in a toddler highchair for the entire meal. We'd packed food for C & D, but they both much preferred my croque monsieur and frites. Next time I'm going to order them one to share!


Caroline now always wants to walk. If I pick her up to go somewhere she says, "Walk. Mama, walk." She's not a big fan of handholding so we compromise and she pushes Duncan in the stroller.


Tuesday evening Ryan and I slipped out and headed downtown to the new Hyatt Regency's Up on the Roof restaurant. The view was amazing! On one side a stunning view of downtown and on the other the Blue Ridge Mountains. 


The menu was amazing and everything looked good. Ryan let me pick and we shared a smoked salmon soup and this charcuterie board. Yum!


Duncan is starting to like books as much as Caroline. They both want to sit in your lap at the same time - whether on the floor or in the rocker. Caroline say "rock" when she wants to snuggle in the glider in the nursery. 


I got some big items checked off my list like figuring out what we are all going to wear on Easter Sunday and ran what felt like a gazillion errands by myself. I finally got around to spending my Christmas morning and getting a nice haircut (only by second since Duncan's birth!). Mom but her organizing skills to work and took charge of sorting all the baby clothes. Does anyone else feel like this must be done all the time? She also helped me tackle paperwork/medical bills that have taken over the upstairs space.

Wednesday was designated as FUN day and we took a break from projects and errands. We packed a picnic and went to Riverbend Equestrian Park to hike the trails that wind behind the horse pastures. One of the first articles I wrote for TALK magazine when we moved here was about the Greenville Pony Club and the equestrian park. Turns out it was about five miles from our house, and we had the entire park all to ourselves! We all enjoyed it so much, and Caroline walked about one and half miles. Sister was worn out. At the very end she kept saying, "Up. Up, please." Duncan rode in the Ergo for the first time (he's about outgrown the Bjorn). I found the Ergo much more comfortable!






We all crashed during naptime. And I was so happy to make it back to Bible Study that night. We celebrated Jennie's upcoming birthday with a cake from Broad Street.

Thursday afternoon Duncan had an EEG schedule to check and make sure he was still seizure free and that there was no hypsarrhythmia waves (indicator of infantile spasms), We got the ALL CLEAR. His neurologist, Dr. Taft, came in to love on him afterwards and the two techs who have followed his progress since he was four months old just couldn't put him down. It was also the first EEG where he didn't want to snuggle but basically kicked me out of the bed so he could stretch out and nap. (He still wanted me to hold his hand and sing the whole time though). He also moved up to the purple sized "cap" for the EEG. Prayers are being answered each day with this little man's progress. I'm so proud of how hard he's worked in therapy and every single day to learn how to do things. His little brain is "re-wiring" and it's amazing to witness. 


I did note to myself how far we've come because in the early days of EEGs I wouldn't have planned anything else for the day. Thursday morning I went to a yoga class and then ran errands. Ryan was off in the afternoon and drove us to the neurology office. We had lunch in the lobby of the hospital and leisurely made our way upstairs right on time. Afterwards we came home and when Caroline woke up from her nap, went to the park and played. Just like a normal day. The EEGs still stress me out because I'm constantly worried that he's having seizures and we're just missing them. But Dr. Taft assures me I can loosen the bubble I've kept us all in since the infantile spasms started in January. 


Ryan worked a moonlight shift on Thursday night and Mom and I had the most amazing Napoli pizza from Tito's. She left the house before 5 a.m. to catch the train back home. I'm taking C & D to Duncan, South Caroline this morning for an Easter Egg Hunt with Duncan's early interventionist company, Bright Start. Happy Easter weekend everyone!

No comments: