Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Easter Weekend

We had a delightful Easter weekend and packed in about as much fun as possible. Not only was it full of plans with friends and Easter-y things, it was Ryan's first weekend off after a tough rotation, and that always leads to a massive feeling of playing catch-up on all we've put on hold out of necessity!



Friday morning I took Caroline & Duncan to Tyger River Park in Duncan (the town!) for an Easter Egg Hunt put on by Duncan's (the baby!) early interventionist's group, Bright Start. There was a photo booth, face painting, craft station and, of course, tons of Easter Eggs.





First face painting experience. They were not sure what to think! Duncan looks like me 90% percent of the time, but look at those eyebrows. Those are all Ryan. 


Our early interventionist, Lizzie, who we all just adore. She brings special toys for Caroline to play with while she works with Duncan each week. Caroline makes a beeline for Lizzie's big tote bag as soon as she walks in our door. 


The egg hunt turned out to be a little disappointing. Someone accidentally picked up Caroline's basket, and by the time I convinced her to use Duncan's the hunt was over. She got two and half eggs. But she was way more excited about her first Hi-C! She drained that box so fast and quickly signed and asked for "more, please."

After nap playtime included yoga practice with bunny ears. Caroline has her own versions of plank and down dog. And Duncan just thinks it's hilarious. 


Friday evening we headed over to Shoe & Carter's house for a cookout. Caroline walked in the door and started calling out for "Ollie." It's been so fun to watch their little friendship grow and now Duncan is getting into the mix as well.


Peer pressure is real - even at just 11 months. Duncan sat up for his longest stretch yet trying to hang with his friends!

Saturday morning I had some girl time with Jennie and Abby celebrating Jennie's birthday. First up was a yoga class at Run In. One of Abby's friends holds a free class in the store before it opens. It was my type of yoga - a great workout that left me sore for two days but also feeling rejuvenated. On Monday morning and I could still feel the burn in my upper arms and back! Our teacher, Maria, taught us the Rabbit pose in honor of it being Easter weekend. It was a new one for me. Here's an online guide from Yoga with Adriene.


And afterwards we felt compelled to document our class successes...


Jennie - crow pose; me - wheel pose; Abby - tree pose. The wheel pose was my New Years resolution and I, obviously, still have some work to do on my technique, but my head is off the ground! Afterwards we treated our selves to brunch at Golden Brown Delicious and coffee from the Village Grind in West Greenville. So good!


Our church's children's ministry team sent out a recipe for Easter Story Cookies. Basically you make a meringue cookie that illustrates the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. On Holy Saturday you leave in the oven over night. The cookies rise and become hallow (empty tomb) by Easter Sunday. These two are a little too young to get all that, but it was a fun experience for me and they enjoyed eating goldfish and watching me smash a bag of pecans with a meat cleaver. I hope this becomes an Easter tradition for us as a family. 



Maggie and Lillie came over to play. We tried to get the girls to hunt eggs, but they had other ideas. 



When Ryan got home from tennis we dyed Easter Eggs. The whole activity lasted about three and half minutes. But Caroline got really into and Duncan looked like a blue smurf from dipping his hands in the dye. 







I've loved our footprint "carrots" banners. The top one is Caroline from 2016 and the bottom one is Caroline and Duncan from this year. Saturday night the Easter Bunny had fun putting out a few toys. We got them one big thing (a water table for the backyard) to share and then filled their baskets with some Dollar Tree specials. Duncan also got his own ducky lovey. It's from the same company, Bearington Collection, that Caroline's ducky is from. And get this - it's official name is Duncan the Duck! Ryan pointed out that Duncan the Duck has long legs just like Duncan the Baby! He's already attached to him and Caroline is calling it "Bubba's Duck."

Sunday morning I was so excited for Caroline and Duncan to get up! We were attempting to make the 8 a.m. church service so I woke everybody up a little before 7 a.m. Even though I thought I'd done everything possible beforehand to get us there on time, we were still late and missed the first two hymns. 



Hot cross buns from the Village Grind for breakfast. They weren't as tasty as they looked. These two sure have gotten squiggly for pictures. It's so hard to get them both in focus, much less looking at the camera!



The service at First Presbyterian was wonderful and Caroline and Duncan went down the aisle for children's church for the first time. I walked them down there and than sat close by. When Dr. Gibbons spotted us he said, "And Duncan is here!" Which was really sweet because it's the only name he said out of the group of probably 20 plus children! Of course, when we got home after church Ryan informed me I'd never finished zipping up my dress all the way. Lovely.


My friend Elise convinced me I could pull off the hat, and it was so much fun to wear one. I've always wanted to and last year noticed that there were lots of hats at the Easter service. Please note that Caroline did have pretty shoes to wear, they just never made it out of the diaper bag!

The nice thing about church is it wears everybody out and by 9:30 a.m. we were home, Duncan was in his bed napping and Caroline and Ryan snuggled up to watch Chicken Little. 


Then we had our egg hunt. 


And Easter dinner à la Bi-lo's deli with fried chicken, potato salad and Hawaiian rolls. I did make some stuffed eggs that Duncan in particular loved.


Jennie and Savi came to play Sunday afternoon. 



The dogs enjoyed the water table as much as the children!


And my Easter afternoon craft - a bunny cake - Pinterest inspiration! Basically it was two round cake pans with one cute up into bunny ears and a bow tie. Now I'm off to download pictures from my phone, because I'm out of storage!

1 comment:

Laura Darling said...

You all look so nice in your Easter outfits! Bummer that the egg hunt was a bust, but they look so cute with their faces painted! :) Glad you had a fun Easter!