Saturday, July 9, 2016

What I've Been Reading

We're going to the beach soon so I've been trying to figure out what books I want to try and read. Although I doubt I'm going to have as much reading on the beach as in past years! I wish the new Liane Moriarty book was going to be out in time but it's not due out until the very end of July. (If you haven't read any of her books I suggest starting with What Alice Forgot. They're the type of books I fly through in two days but then think about the underlying themes for weeks). Ryan and I were talking about books the other night and he mentioned that he was a little jealous when he heard me laughing out loud while reading. That he'd never read a book that made him do that and that he got his comedy fix from the TV. How sad! 


My reading buddy! I'm trying to read (rather than scroll through Facebook because it's really just unsettling on political and social levels) while nursing or pumping. And am hopefully passing along an early love of reading. These books may not all make you LOL but I've enjoyed each of them!

Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love


I started this amazing book this past week and love it! I've followed the story of Katherine and Jay Wolf for years as her younger sister was at Ole Miss at the same time as me and his parents are friends with my uncle in Montgomery. It's a very encouraging and uplifting story of a young marriage and an unimaginable struggle. When a few years ago they announced her second pregnancy, I remember thinking now if she (with all her medical issues) can have a baby then surely I can!

And totally switching gears to a more trivial read...

Game of Crowns



If you're a British Royal Family fan this is the new "tell-all" about what will happen when (Lord forbid!) Queen Elizabeth dies. I must say that I didn't really like the start of the book where he imagines the members of the family receiving news of her death. It tittered on inappropriate and too disrespectful. But overall the book was really good and more about Princess Diana than anyone else. He did correctly predict that Charlotte would be seen on the Buckingham Palace balcony in June during Trooping of the Color so maybe he does have some insider knowledge!

The Nest 


I couldn't put this one down and couldn't quite figure out how it would end. It's the story of four grown siblings in NYC and their dysfunctional relationships and dependency on this inheritance that they've all assumed would be theirs when they all reached middle age. And that's a really long sentence and probably not punctuated correctly!

Bringing up Bebe



This was definitely a laugh-out-loud book and really made me think about the type of parent I want to be to my two little ones. It's an American's perspective on raising her children in Paris with her British husband. She begins to notice that her first child, Bean, is the only toddler throwing tantrums at Paris playgrounds and she starts to explore why.

Grantchester

 

My friend Jennie recommended this series to me two years ago and it's taken me that long to get around to reading it. I've only read the first in the series (and the PBS series follows it pretty closely), but plan on reading the rest.

And up next on my reading list in no particular order...

The Royal We




Don't You Cry


The Space Between Sisters

 

Pride & Prejudice


I've been watching the 1995 BBC Pride & Prejudice series with Colin Firth and it inspired me to want to re-read this classic!

And, if you're interested, here's my summer reading list from last year. What's on your list?

And if you order any of the above books by clicking on the photo, yours truely gets a very small percentage of profit from Amazon...

2 comments:

annabclark said...

I remember reading my books while feeding my little ones too. I always felt crazy....but I even read them out loud! Now my three love reading as much as I do. We could live at the library or bookstore. Books are the best!! I'm counting down until the new liane moriarty book is released. So ready! I think I'll try the nest while I wait. Thanks for the tip.

Kara Paulk said...

Let me know what you think about it Anna!