Saturday, July 16, 2016

Life Lately

July is flying by, and I feel like we've really found our groove with having two babies. The day revolves around nap times, nursing/pumping, meal times and bed times, and I wouldn't have it any other way! There are two "windows" of time to get out and/or get any thing accomplished: immediately after Caroline's morning nap and again after her afternoon nap. Duncan doesn't have set nap times yet which makes it a little easier - he's happy to sleep anywhere for now. It's getting easier to get us all in the car and we usually get out at least once a day. And if we don't leave in the car, we at least pile in the stroller just to see something new.


I don't know what we'd do without our stroller. When Caroline and I would walk last winter I'd tell her how in the summer when it was hot we'd be walking with her baby brother or sister in a big stroller. I don't think either one of us actually believed it would happen!

My big accomplishment for the week was finishing thank you notes. This was a huge check off my mental to-do list. It sounds easy, but I'm still struggling how to fit fixing supper into our schedule so anything on top of necessities feels like a huge success! 


While the days are going smoother, the nights seem to be getting harder! We did one night of sleep training with Duncan (we follow the 12 Hours of Sleep by 12 Weeks book) before we all got the stomach bug. Now we're waiting until after our vacation to try again. Caroline's going through a developmental leap, and it's really effecting her sleep. She's woken up with night terrors most nights around 3 a.m. and then has trouble going back to sleep. One night she never did get back to sleep and we finally just got up for the day at 5 a.m. (See above photo!). Surprisingly, she was in a great mood all day! So between Duncan's nursing and Caroline's night wakings, I'm way behind on my zzz's! 


This little man isn't behind on his zzz's! He says any time, any where he's ready to nap!

Girl Time

Monday night I went out with my girlfriends from Side-by-Side for a send-off dinner for two girls who are moving away. I'm so thankful for this group of fellow med school/residency/fellowship wives and that we are doing life together. 


Ashley (bottom row, far right) is going back to the West Coast. She has totally embraced the South and all things southern. She told us that earlier that day when a total stranger had touched her arm in Trader Joes she hadn't flipped out. Now she's worried she's going to be overly friendly towards strangers (apparently there's more of a cultural personal space bubble there)!

Shoe Time

I finally broke down and put shoes on Caroline. Even though she's not walking she wants to stand wherever possible. The first outing with shoes was to the park! These are little soft pre-walkers that someone passed along to us. She's pretty proud of them!


How adorable are her little baby legs???

Pool Time

Katelin and Heather invited us to join them at the pool one day and Katelin lent me her Water Duo wrap so I could take Duncan and Caroline into the pool at the same time! I wouldn't try to do this completely on my own, but Caroline could stand on the steps and splash around and Duncan could at least not be totally left out!




These two water babies. I can't even imagine next summer and how different the pool will be then!

No comments: