Wednesday, June 8, 2016

One Month with Little Man

Today marks one month with little man Duncan. Ya'll he is just precious. Can't really remember life without him! I was worried that Baby 2 would be high maintenance just because Caroline is so low key and has been an "easy" baby. So far, Duncan has proven to be just as chill as his big sis. He has rounded out our little family and it is so fun to have two babies.


This baby has filled up the Moses basket so much faster than Caroline. He is long and lean and his little belly swells up like a balloon after he eats. I'm thinking the mini crib might not be big enough for long!

His gown in the above photo belonged to my granddaddy, Otho, and was also worn by my dad and brother. I love a family heirloom!

Caroline and I have a little diddly that we sing to him:

     Where is Duncan? Where is Duncan?
     There he is. There he is.

     He's in his little basket.
     He's happy, he's fantastic!
     There he is. There he is.


Duncan says, "that's a good question. where am I?"

Hanging out on the porch with mama while sister naps. Laura and Thomas sent him this elephant -- along with some blue things (including socks -- all our socks were pink!). 


He makes the cutest expressions...


And is happy to just hang out...


He loves to sleep (except between whenever he senses I'm going to bed and 1 a.m.). He must have access to his hands. No swaddle is strong enough to get between him and his hands!


This morning on his one month birthday! I realized when I put him in the dinosaur pajamas the night before that his little legs were too long for them. So we just fastened the top half!

He has hair! Not only on his head, but also all along his little ears (Papa Carrel is claiming this trait!) and down his back. His hair was dark at birth but seems to be getting lighter and lighter by the day. The roots of it are blond. And he definitely has receding line along his forehead.


And this little duck tail really should probably be cut!


On the sleep front I'm following the the Twelve Hours of Sleep by Twelve Weeks book that I did with Caroline. At this stage, the only thing we are focusing on is not creating bad habits. This is more on me than him! I'm also following the guidelines in Bringing Up Bebe  and am happy to report that he is, most nights, "doing his nights" as the French call it. Meaning that after he falls asleep around 1 a.m. he will sleep until 5:30 or 6 a.m. I've given up, for now, on putting Caroline and Duncan in the nursery. It's not worth messing up Caroline's good sleeping habits! He's now sleeping in the pack 'n play in hallway.

Duncan eats every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day and then in the evening tends to want to cluster feed. He has no trouble switching between nursing and bottles. It's easier just to nurse during the day, and I attempt to pump during the night and then during nap time.

He only gets upset when he has a wet or dirty diaper or when I try to put him in the baby wearing wrap when it's close to mealtime. Weeks two and three he had a round of funky clogged tear ducts. It seems to have all cleared up. His guppy breathing comes and goes and he is the loudest little sleeper and snores all the time.



He's not too sure about sister's pink bathtub. I need to get him a boat so it'll be a man bath (five bucks to the person who can name that Friends reference!).


Looking back at Caroline's one month pictures made me realize how much more energy I have this go around than last. Which is odd considering I have so much more on my plate! Except that I don't have first trimester exhaustion and morning sickness (I threw up just about every time I changed a dirty diaper for months!). Which I don't think I even registered it as that at the time. I just wanted to sit on the sofa and snuggle with Caroline all day. I don't have the time to do the same with Duncan, but I do make a point to every nap time to put the to-do list aside and just snuggle with this little man. Because they really are so little for just a short time.



Love my little man!

No comments: