Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Weekend Re-cap: Pickle Face, Saturday Market and Derby Time

I wrote this post about 2 a.m. on Sunday morning. I'd woken up with contractions and was trying to distract myself! Needless to say, a few things have changed!

Friday evening we headed to Travelers Rest for a change of scenery and ate supper on the rooftop of the Whistle Stop Cafe. Caroline had her first taste of pickles...


...and she kept going back for more! Aren't those checks just precious???

 
She stayed happy the whole time during dinner and hammed it up to everyone around us. She fell asleep on the way home. She's in the stage now where she doesn't even wake up when you take her out of the carseat. It's so precious!

 
Saturday morning we all went downtown for the Farmers Market. And ran into Amanda (and Baby Polk!). Amanda was working a Kids in the Kitchen booth for Junior League and gave Caroline a book, the ABCs of Gardening.

 
We came home and made Kentucky Hot Browns for lunch. Derby Saturday is an unofficial minor holiday in my book and so thus must  be celebrated with the appropriate food!


I made this recipe but substituted provolone for the Gueyere cheese. After lunch on our patio, we headed back downtown to Falls Park and the Reedy River Duck Derby. Our duck was number 016575.

 
No afternoon nap and this baby remained happy as could be! If you look closely, you can see her one and only tooth!


First meeting with a Disney princess. I think I was more excited about Cinderella than Caroline!

 
There were over 10,000 rubber duckies "released" above the falls. The winner's prize was a year of free groceries at Publix. We didn't win but had a great time watching.
 
Then it was home, a quick nap for Caroline and tennis time for Ryan. I settled into the sofa to watch the entire Kentucky Derby coverage. Caroline joined me before too long and we played with her horse from Ivy.

 
I made Ryan a mint julep (4 mint leaves lightly crushed with one ounce simple syrup, 2 ounces Maker's Mark, crushed iced and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar) and myself a mock mint julep (club soda with a mint leaf).

 
The cold Mint Julep cup felt good on Caroline's gums (this is my mocktail).

 
Ryan and I placed bets on the horses. His won, and it was so hard handing over my $5. My horse did come in second! We put Caroline to bed and had a date night out on the patio. Steaks, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. We talked baby names and I told him about an article I read about dogs predicting their owners going into labor.

 
Sometimes Pepe surprises us and acts like the peppy puppy he used to be - he climbed right in the hammock with Ryan. We laughed at how clingy he was being and maybe it was "a sign" that something was about to happen. He would not leave our sides all evening. He kept going back and forth between the two of us. Which is really unusual, because he tends to keep to himself.


And little while later I had my first contraction! At 10:22 p.m. to be exact. We headed to the hospital around 4 a.m. And quickly realized Baby Two would be making a Mother's Day debut! 

No comments: