Monday, April 11, 2016

Weekend Re-cap: Kirkin' o' the Tartans & a Dutch Baby Recipe

Ryan had nursery duty this weekend and ended up being at the hospital much longer than planned. I've learned not to count on his being "almost done" until he's actually in the car and off hospital grounds! But Caroline and I had a great time shopping, walking and just relaxing at home.


A long check out line at Old Navy is no biggie for Caroline. She just smiled at everyone. The good thing about shopping all morning is it means a long nap time in the afternoon. I made progress on stocking our freezer with some meals and baby food for after Baby 2 arrives. 


Bath time is a favorite time around here. Saturday night one of Ryan's buddies came over and we built a fire. I bet it's the last one of the season. Pepe and Scout were sure glad to have one last chance to sleep in front of it!


My friend Jennie introduced me to this delicious breakfast. It's called a Dutch Baby and basically is a big pancake baked in an iron skillet. We usually do French Toast on Sunday mornings, but this was a great treat.


Here's her recipe: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in 12-inch cast iron skillet on low heat. In a bowl, mix 4 large eggs, 2/3 cup flour, 2/3 cup whole milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat with blender just until blended (about 5 to 10 seconds). Pour batter into skillet with melted butter and bake until top puffs up and is lightly golden brown (about 25 minutes). 

Drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter and then sprinkle with juice of one lemon and 1/2 cup powered sugar. 

*Next time I'm going to leave out the lemon since we're not huge on lemon flavored sweets and use whole milk (I only had skim). 

Our preacher is Scottish and each year our church honors the cultural heritage of the reformed Presbyterian church with a "Kirkin' o' the Tartans" service. There are pipes and drums and a procession of the tartans (flags) from the American and Christian flags to family tartans representing clans found in the Upstate. It's my favorite service of the year and there are just as many people as on Christmas Eve or Easter so I know I'm not the only one! 


Afterwards the pipes and drums played outside and Caroline and I just happened to meet the man representing the Anderson clan. At the family reunion last summer, Aunt Betty showed us all the research she's done on the Anderson branch of our family going back 15 generations to Holland and Scotland. I've had fun looking through her list for baby name ideas!


Sunday afternoons were made for snuggling on the sofa and watching ice skating. I'm so thankful for this girl. My heart just about explodes when she's in my arms. 


And we wrapped up the afternoon with a walk while waiting on Ryan to get home. The azaleas and dogwoods are really showing off right now!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and cheers to a great week ahead!

No comments: