Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Stay-cationg, Spring Prep and Some Firsts

We've been enjoying some spring like weather this past week and it's been just divine! I love the line in the song "Hymn of Promise" that goes "in the cold and snow of winter there's a spring that waits to be, unrevealed until it's season something God alone can see." 

Well we are starting to get a glimpse of God's spring and I rejoice in each jonquil and ray of warm sunshine. Ryan took a vacation week this past week and we have been stay-cationing (except for an overnight trip to Charlotte). It was our last big chuck of time off as a family of three together! I can hardly wrap my head around the fact that Baby 2 could be here in less than 10 weeks. 



In the backyard we pulled weeds and put down hay where the dogs have just about destroyed the grass. Sod is on the list after the last frost has past. We stained the new swing and the seeds that Caroline and I started two weeks ago have popped up. 

Last Saturday night Ryan and I went to the Junior League's Big Night Out ball. I don't even remember the last time we got all dressed up for a fancy party. It was downtown at Zen and had great food, music and a silent auction. We had a marvelous time and Caroline had fun with our friends Katie and Daniel who were so sweet to keep her. 


Goofing off in the photo booth - it was a masquerade ball theme. 

I've decided having a fall birthday is the perfect time of year to be born. As the weather is turning nice, Caroline is at the perfect age to start exploring the outside. We've had lots of "firsts" including checking out the two parks that are in walking distance from our house. 


First time in the swing! Pepe was a little worried about leaving the baby in the swing. She was far more interested in the other children running around than the swing!


My heart could just explode looking at this picture. Ryan had come in from his moonlighting shift and got right on the floor to play! 


My little bookworm. This girl loves a book. 


Thursday night we met some friends downtown for sushi. It was so fun! 


Caroline stayed awake and happy until the very end.

I've not been sleeping all that well - Baby 2 seems to be an early bird like me and starts kicking around 4:30 a.m. On Friday morning I started this Classic New York-style Cheesecake (recipe in "Martha Stewart Living" March 2016 magazine) a little after 5 a.m. At 10 a.m. I was still working on it! But it was good. We had some friends over Friday night and it was the perfect dessert (our guest doesn't eat chocolate - can't imagine that!) and this is the only non-chocolate dessert I really like!


Saturday we took C to the Life Center pool. Another first! This little water baby took to it right away. She even dunked her face in a couple of times completely on her own!



That night our friend, Jennie, volunteered to come to our house and keep Caroline so we could have a date night. We started out at the new Aloft Hotel bar. 


Pretty view of downtown from the balcony at WXYZ bar. 


I enjoyed a "mocktail" - club soda has actually grown on me - but I am looking forward to wine in a few weeks! Afterwards we went to see "London is Falling" and very much enjoyed it. Very action-y and a little predictable. 


Caroline didn't even notice we were gone! We've become early service church goers thanks to our little angel who wakes up at 7 a.m. on the dot. It makes Sunday seem like an extra long day - which I love. The nursery workers said Caroline smiled the whole time she was there and when we walked in she was bouncing away in a jumper thing. It was the push Ryan needed to relent and hang our Johnny Jumper from Sis. 


Somebody didn't need to be shown what to do. The down sound of a pediatrician daddy is they've seen all the worst-case scenarios :-) I look at this jumper and see a happy, bouncing baby. Ryan looks at it as sees potential crawling delays and other dangers! 


Sunday afternoon Ryan and Eric played tennis and Caroline and I watched and played in the park. I joined them for a couple of sets. It was so fun to be out there again. I can handle doubles at this point! It was my first time to play since the morning Caroline was born. 

Monday was our last vaca day and we made a quick trip to Columbia for some paperwork. Afterwards we toured the State House and walked around downtown. 


Palmetto and moon in pansies at the State House.


Family selfie in the House of Representatives chamber.


Lunch at the Blue Marlin - we had the fresh Gulf shrimp and it was delesh! Back to the real world today!

No comments: