Monday, July 6, 2015

Independence Day, Tennis Tourney & Heels Down

My grandmother, Net, always says that after July 4th it's basically Christmas because the rest of the summer and fall will fly by so quickly. She's usually right, but right now we are soaking up every minute of summer sun and fun.

Our summer tennis tournament (with the trophy of new sunglasses!) is continuing and we played two sets over the weekend. I lost both but can tell we are both improving. My serve is stronger and Ryan's backhand is better. And we aren't getting to deuce every game. If I was betting, I'd say that Ryan is going to win this summer tournament!


Saturday afternoon we grilled out ribs and peppers. It can't be the Fourth without grilling, right?


A few hours before grilling, we rub the meat with lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tony's, garlic salt, Rendezvous seasoning and black pepper. Then wrap it up in heavy-duty foil and let it marinate for about five hours. Re-rub with same seasoning just before putting on the grill. 


Over charcoal the ribs take about an hour-and-half to two hours. Then spread on your favorite barbecue sauce and it's ready to eat. Don't forget good napkins! Our new friends Abby and Ryan came over to celebrate with us. They recently moved here from Minneapolis, and Ryan is a med-peds intern. After a few rounds of darts and eating, we headed downtown to catch the fireworks. 


Hard to believe this is our second year to catch the fireworks. We love Greenville!


When we moved here I had no idea how hard it was going to be to "break in" to the freelance writing world. I've finally got some stories going with a couple of local magazines. And my first article in the Canadian digital magazine, Heels Down, just came out last week! I've had so much fun writing for it and have met some really fascinating horse people. There's a whole show world that I knew nothing about. 


The July issue is themed around the National Young Riders Competition later this month. It's basically the Olympics for the under 18 crowd. My story is "What to do When the Bank of Mom & Dad Closes Your Account" and how to fund your equestrian hobby on your own. Something I know a little about :)

Hope your week is off to a good start!

No comments: