Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Summer Eats

Is anyone else super excited about summer foods? Our little garden doesn't have any vegetables ready to go yet, but fortunetley our friends are sharing their produce.

This zucchnni is from Maggie & Richard's garden and the cherry tomatoes were grown on St. John's Island, S.C. and were the best I've ever tasted. The basil for the pesto came from my garden.

Tilapia & Zucchini Pesto Salad


Pesto for two: 2 handfuls of basil (I used normal green and purple basil), 2 teaspoons of pine nuts, 2 garlic cloves, a glug of EVOO, salt and pepper to taste. Process all in food processor. Parmesan cheese would also be a great addition, but I didn't miss it and it made this dish a little healthier!

Tilapia: Heat an iron skillet with a little EVOO, salt and pepper tilapia fillets and cook for about 3 minutes per side. In a separate skillet melt 1/4 stick butter with 3 tablespoons and brown one clove of garlic. Add in basil, salt and pepper. Pour over fish.

Broccoli Salad


This is my mom's recipe (as is the fish above!) and is one of my favorite ways to eat broccoli. It's easy to double and keeps for a couple of days in the fridge. Mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup Italian dressing. Pour the dressings onto two heads of chopped broccoli. Add in 4 pieces of crumbled bacon, 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup craisins. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Tomato Sandwich


Our neighbor, Don, gave us a tomato from his garden and I do believe there is nothing better than a homegrown tomato sandwich. I could eat one every day for lunch: wheat bread, mayo, cheese, fresh tomato and basil grilled in skillet until the cheese is melted! 

Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca 


A few months ago the hospital stopped selling "real" Cokes and started selling a ton of sparkling waters. My favorites are Dasani's Mixed Berry and the lime LaCroix. Funny side story: My dad loves to tell the story of our first afternoon in Norway when he purchased five very pricey bottles of "water with gas" and watched Sis, Thomas and I twist the tops off, take one sip, spit it out and declare it disgusting. For the rest of the trip we made sure to request water without gas. 

Anyway, I saw this recipe for Watermelon Basil Agua Fresa and knew it was something that my adult self would now like. 

Another wonderful thing about summer is that it is staying light well past 9 o'clock. Monday evening we took the dogs to Falls Park just to walk around. It was such a nice way to end the day!

My peeps <3 comment-3--="" nbsp="">


No comments: