Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Shrimp, Chanterelle & Pumpkin Risotto

Cooking risotto used to really intimidate me for some reason. I went to a cooking class where the chef made it way too hard and scared me off of trying for awhile. But, really it's not any more difficult than cooking regular white rice! Just follow the directions. You usually cook it a little first in the pot and then add liquid. Risotto uses Italian-style arborio rice and you can find it on the rice aisle at just about any grocery store.


I cooked this John Besh recipe a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share it before I completely forgot about it! We picked up some crab cakes and fresh shrimp on Pawleys Island in an effort to extended our mini-vaca a little longer. Nothing like seafood to make you feel like you're still on the coast! The recipe can be found here and is Shrimp, Chanterelle & Pumpkin Risotto. It's also in Besh's cookbook "Cooking from the Heart."

I made a few substitutions based on what was in season at the farmer's market: acorn squash instead of pumpkin and regular mushrooms instead of chanterelle mushrooms. I was out of fresh Parmesan cheese and used the shake kind out of the can. It was delicious!





My final result wasn't as pretty as the cookbook picture, but I'm willing to bet it tasted just as good!


Bon appetit! 

No comments: