Saturday, May 23, 2015

Southern Author Festival

Greenville's Friends of the Library held the first Southern Author Festival this past week and weekend. It started Tuesday evening with Greenville native Dr. Hal Poe leading a discussion on The Sound of William Faulkner. Of course, I had to go to that! His private collection of Faulkner materials is currently on display at the main library. He was really interesting and I learned a few things that I didn't know about Faulkner.


On Saturday I went to two sessions and meant to go to a third, but had a big lunch and then took an unexpected nap. I woke up just in time to catch the last session! Both of the authors were unfamiliar to me but are now on the top of my must-read list. Especially since I bought one of each of there books. And I'm completely out of room for books. Again.


George Singleton spoke on his writing process and told a lot of funny stories. I had a nice conversation with him afterwards and we discussed Oxford (he was wearing a Square Books cap!) and all the many funny Southern writers we enjoy and one that we don't. He was very nice and gave me some great leads on freelance writing opportunities in the area.


It's unbelievable to me that I haven't read any of Karen White's books, because they look right up my ally. She calls her genre "Grit Lit" - all are about Southern female protagonists who overcome some element to get in a better place or are changed in some way. She promises that none of her books end where everybody dies!

I'm starting off with "The Time Between," because it's set on Edisto Island where we are going later this summer! She was a hoot to listen to and said she wrote her first novel after a particularly bad "book hangover." You know when you've read a book that you just can't put down and then finish it and don't want to read anything else? I've never heard of the term book hangover but that's exactly what it is!

What are you reading? I'm working on list of books for the beach!

No comments: