Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Simple Sushi Date Night

Ryan and I both love sushi, and it's something fun to cook together. The sushi rice and nori (seaweed wraps) came from the Asian supermarket, but Kroger also sells these. I was very surprised that Trader Joe's did not!


The first step is to cook your rice, following the directions on the package. My Nishiki rice recipe (using 1.5 cups of rice) made enough for three rolls. After cooking the rice and allowing to cool to room temperature, I added 1/3 cup of seasoned rice vinegar. This just makes it a little sticker. 


I realized on the last roll that we were going the wrong way. Do as I say, not as I do :)

The bamboo sushi mat strips should face you horizontally. Place the sheet of nori, with the shiny side down, on the mat. Top with one cup of rice and mash rice out gently leaving the top 1/4 of the nori uncovered. Place your fillings (we used carrots, English cucumber, crag legs, avocados and cream cheese) in a horizontal strip across the bottom portion of the rice. 


Start to roll and if you need to dip you fingers in a little rice vinegar. Press the bamboo mat to shape the roll. Dip a sharp knife in water between each cut and slice the roll into pieces. 


No pictured but we then sprinkled the rolls with sesame seeds. Next time I want to attempt to make them tempura rolls buy dipping the roll in panko bread crumbs and frying it. That's probably a little less healthy but what I always order at a restaurant! 

No comments: