Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Kale, Two Ways

As usual, I'm a little behind on the current food craze of kale. But I'm catching up! And am proud to say that I've developed a taste for kale chips and sauteed kale. I say "developed," because it's one of those vegetables you just have to set your mind to liking. And then just eat it until you like the taste of it. I bet my mom can't believe she just read that sentence :)

Kale Chips


My friend Jennie introduced me to kale chips. I'd tried them a year or so ago when they blew up my Pinterest feed but was not impressed. I think I gagged. But Jennie's were good and I then went home and made some for myself. For a single serving: Chop fresh, clean kale (or buy a bag of pre-chopped). Spread about three handfuls on a baking sheet. Toss with about 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. If you feel adventurous, sprinkle with a little fresh Parmesan.

Sauteed Kale



Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a dutch oven. Saute a chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic until onion is tender over medium heat. Add one bunch chopped kale and add 2 tablespoons of water. Put the lid on the pot and let the kale steam for 10 minutes. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes (this makes it spicy hot so go slow!), red wine vinegar (to taste), 1 tablespoon of butter and salt and pepper.

Warning: Don't eat two servings of kale in one day unless you'd like the effects of a week long juice cleanse in about 24 hours. 

No comments: