Thursday, May 28, 2015

10 Beach Reads for 2015


There are so many things I love about summer. The pool. The beach. The sun. Summer drinks by the pool or beach. Vacation. Lighting bugs and long summer evenings. Wearing the same t-shirt all day that you slept in the night before. Counting swimming in the pool as your daily bath because chlorine kills everything, right? And, of course, reading!

I keep a running list on the notes section on my phone of books that I hear friends or complete strangers talking about. The 10 books listed below are books that I've read recently, are currently reading OR are on my summer to-read list.

Me Before You


JoJo Moyes is supposedly the next "big thing" in fiction. Several book-reading friends have recommended this and I'm saving it for our family vacation in July.

Big Little Lies


I've written about this book before (here), but it is one of my all-time favorites. This is the Australasian cover with I think is even better than the American one. If you haven't read "The Husband's Secret," get it at the same time! I've just finished "What Alice Forgot" and LOVED it. 

The Goldfinch


Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Price for fiction the book. In a review for The New York Times Book Review, Stephen King said it was a "a rarity that comes along perhaps half a dozen times per decade, a smartly written literary novel that connects with the heart as well as the mind....Donna Tartt has delivered an extraordinary work of fiction."

The Sound of Glass



I heard Karen White speak at our local library last weekend and she said the inspiration for this book came from watching the show "Crime to Remember" on the Investigation ID channel. The first chapter of the book is a plane crash in 1955 and the farmer's wife who sees fire-balls. The book then jumps to 2014 and is told by three narratives. 

Born with Teeth  


Author Kate Mulgrew plays "Red" on Netflix's Orange is Black. She was also in Cheers. CBS's Sunday Morning interviewed her a couple of weeks ago, and I really, really liked her as a person.

A Spool of Blue Thread


This book by Anne Tyler was suggested on  The Skimm so it has to be good, right? Apparently, if you liked the show Brothers & Sisters (it was on ABC a few years ago and came on after Desperate Housewives), then this is the book for you! And me, because I loved the show.


A Perfect Proposal


Any and all British chic lit is right up my ally. I've read all Katie Fforde's books that my library has to offer. These are new to me as most came out in the 90s when I was still into Sweet Valley High and the Saddle Club books. No nail bitters here, but very enjoyable.

How to Be a Woman 


I saw this author interviewed last year and this book has been on my list ever since - the TODAY Show described this as the UK's version of Bossypants by Tina Fey. One of my all-time favorite books. 


All the Light We Cannot See


This year's Putlizer Prize winner - I've heard from multiple people that it's a great read. 

Good Dog Stay


You know I can't have a list of books and not include one about dogs or horses! 

Also, notice the new page 'Book Chat' at the top of the blog. I've been working on compiling all my various book reviews into a list for easy reference. Check it out!

What's on your summer reading list?

No comments: