Wednesday, March 18, 2015

What's for Supper?

When the seasons change I get the urge to try new dishes and these fit the bill nicely for earlier spring...


Pecan crusted trout - I had pinned this recipe but then noticed Fresh Market had already done all the work for me for $5.99 a pound. So I just went with their version. It was delicious and company worthy! I did pan fry the fillets with a little olive oil and butter instead of the instructions to bake it. I'm sure baking would have made it a tad bit healthier! Served with Brussels sprouts from the farmer's market and rice. 


Spring soup! Actually this is called Scallion Soup - here's the recipe. This was amazingly simple to make and very tasty. And costs about $4 total. Can't beat that! I used half-and-half instead of cream because that's what was in the fridge. You could easily use milk or leave it out all together. 


Cabbage Rolls -  a combination of this recipe and this one. For the meat filling: 1 pound ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 cup raw rice and salt and pepper. For the tomato sauce: 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 lemon juiced, 1/4 cup red wine, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper (all to taste). One of the recipes suggests freezing the whole cabbage head and then putting in hot water to make the leaves easier to peel off. That works pretty well, but I should have taken off the core before putting in the freezer. Discard the first layer or two of leaves - the inside layers are softer and sweeter. This made eight rolls and I thought they were even tastier the second day.


A themed supper is always fun so on St. Patrick's Day we had Bangers and Colcannon with Guinness Onion Gravy. I found Irish bangers at the Fresh Market but I think you could substitute smoked sausage. Colcannon is a mixture of mashed potatoes and cabbage that has been sauteed in bacon and butter. Healthy, right? 

1 comment:

Signy said...

As always: you are inspirational!