Friday, March 6, 2015

Garden Talk

One of my favorite hymns is "Hymn of Promise" particularly the first verse:

In the bulb there is a flower; in the seed, an apple tree;
In cocoons, a hidden promise: butterflies will soon be free!
In the cold and snow of winter there’s a spring that waits to be,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.


This week we had a couple of nice days that hinted at the promise of spring being just around the corner. All the inspiration needed for me to get outside and start working on our yard and garden. While my efforts don't look very glamorous, it's all under the surface! Preparation is the key, right?


I added compost and turned over the dirt in raised beds. My next step is to mix in some barnyard compost. Also the trees behind the garden provide a nice privacy screen from our neighbors but are providing too much shade to some of the boxes. Not sure how to address this issue!


I cut down our banana tree but then got worried it would get too cold so I covered the tops in aluminum foil. Also on the list is to finish this patio! We're going to take out the bed on the right side of the picture and extend the patio to the edge of the house. 


The previous two owners of our house have had very green thumbs. There are all sorts of bulbs coming up. So far jonquils and crocus have bloomed and our neighbor has promised that there are more good things coming.


My planning guides! Mama Jean and Papa Carrel were into organics long before it was "cool" - this book is from 1969. Felder Rushing's "Tough Plants for Southern Gardens" is practical advise with great pictures. And Net gave me the Mid-South Garden Guide several years ago (written by the Memphis Garden Club) and it too is very practical with a month-by-month section of things to be done.

And inside the house...


Zinnias started in egg crates. The ones on the left are from a zinnia from Eudora Welty's garden in Jackson and, on the right, a packet of seeds from Wally World.


Tulips starting to come up! I choose red tulips to remind me of how pretty Ole Miss looks in the spring!

No comments: