Thursday, March 12, 2015

My Reading List


I've read quite a few good books so far this year...

Ken Follett's "Edge of Eternity" is the third and final book in his Century Trilogy and follows the third generations of the five families from across the world introduced in the first two books as they navigate the Berlin Wall in Germany, Civil Rights in America, Vietnam and rock 'n roll throughout later half of the 20th century.

"Leaving Time" by Jodi Picoult. I've not read very many of her books - they tend to be a little too dark for me - but this one was enthralling. It follows a young girl's journey is searching for her mother. Plus it made we want to get involved with saving elephants!

My mom has passed along two books from her book club "Flight of the Sparrow" and "Necessary Lies." "Flight of the Sparrow" is based on a true story of a New England Puritan woman who was captured and ransomed by Indians in the 1670s. The experience changes the way she views her rigid Puritan community.

"Necessary Lies" is a fascinating look at the work of a social worker in 1950s North Carolina. I found this one hard to read because it was so disturbing. But so good!

Usually, I read the book before I see the movie, but with "Gone Girl" I'm glad I saw the movie first. I think I would have not been able to sleep until I finished the book. And then sleep would really not be an option. 

And about as opposite as you can get from "Gone Girl"  is the book my Bible study is discussing, "Prescription for a Doctor's Wife." Obviously it's a group of doctor's wives, but I think the book would apply to many marriage situations.

I'm most excited about the book I'm reading now - "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty. I've been on the waiting list at the library for months for this book and found a hardback copy at the Friends of the Library book sale last week for $4. She is currently my favorite author!

Any recommendations for future reading?

No comments: