Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Ice Capades and Jambalaya

We woke up to the very much predicted ice storm this morning. The schools and most business are closed and it's a great day to hunker down and enjoy. Except if you work at a hospital and have to go in at 3 a.m. Fortunately, Ryan made it safely, and I'm not planning on cranking my car!


This looks like snow but it's solid ice. By mid-morning Scout and I were ready to get out of the house so we headed out for a walk to take in the sights. Poor Pepe has hurt his hip and was left behind. I don't think he minded though - cold weather is not his thing. 


Our neighborhood has some great sledding hills! I'm going to have to get a sled for next time!



There is never parking downtown but there was plenty this morning. Of course, most everything was closed!





The Starbucks by Falls Park was the destination for our walk and, fortunately, they were open for business. One thing I love about Greenville is it is so dog friendly. I had to document Scout's first time in Starbucks! 

In honor of cold weather and Fat Tuesday, I made jambalaya last night...


This is a combination of two recipes from one of my favorites cookbooks, Forestburg Watermelon Festival Cookbook Volume II (a wonderful gift from my Aunt Betty!). 

In a dutch oven, saute 1 pound sliced smoked sausage in 1/4 cup oil until browned. Remove the sausage and saute (chopped) vegetables: 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 cup celery, 1 cup green onion and 2 cloves garlic until tender. Add 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; and cook a few minutes. Stir in 1 cup uncooked rice, 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, 1 cup water and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Add one (14.5 oz) can of drained diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and add back in sausage for about 30 minutes. 

No comments: