Monday, August 11, 2014

Weekend Fun

We enjoyed a very low-key weekend. Friday night we had Mississippi friends over and enjoyed talking about what football games we hope to make in next few months. Hard to believe it's almost that time of year! Saturday morning we went to the farmer's market and then to play tennis. I think it was the only sun we saw all weekend. Ryan won the first set 6-2 and lost to me in the (a very grueling) second set 4-6. We were too worn out to play a third set!

Studying never seems to end for Ryan so while he plowed through his many books and practice tests, I read the latest edition of Garden & Gun cover-to-cover. I cried my way through City Grocery owner John Currance's Good Dog: A Chef's Shadow column (warning: only click on that link if you're in the mood for a good cry!). I immediately went and got Pepe a blanket -- his new hair cut leaves him shivering under the ceiling fan -- and begged him not to get any older! 


Saturday night we went to an improv comedy show at Coffee Underground. There were some people behind me in the coffee line talking about Cups in Jackson -- turns out it was someone from Ryan's class who is doing a residency in Greenwood. Small world! The show was funny and reminded us of our fun trip last summer to Second City in Chicago. Ryan is a big fan of improv and I feel like I'm developing an appreciation for it (especially after reading Tina Fey's book Bossy Pants).


Sunday we tried out a new church and then later celebrated Jordan's birthday at her in-laws. They have a beautiful pool and had invited us to swim, but it was too cold for all but a few. I only get in when it's hot and sunny!

No comments: