Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Difference in a Few Letters & An Easy Recipe

One of the perks of residency is that I have access to the hospital's gym, called the Life Center, that has a pool, every type of exercise machine imaginable and workout classes. I've been going to a class or two a week and have really enjoyed rediscovering Pilates and trying the gym's version of Pure Barre. Yesterday I was feeling brave (and like I'd eaten too much over the weekend) and so I thought I'd try a class called interval intensity. When the instructor welcomed us to interval insanity, I knew I was in trouble! The props included: dumb bells, jump rope, mat, body bar, big ball and a half-round thing that you jumped on and used for lunges. We did a series of burpees which I thought only football players did. I really don't know how I got out of there still breathing. And this morning I can barely walk! Next time I think I will look a little closer at the schedule and class descriptions.

And because working out always makes me think of what I want to cook next, here's an easy weeknight recipe...

BBQ Cups

This is an easy (and certainly not original to me!) recipe that comes together with very little prep and planning. Plus, I usually have all the ingredients on hand which is always helpful!


Brown one pound ground chuck, a small chopped onion and two chopped cloves of garlic. You could also sub onion and garlic powder to make this an even quicker meal. Once the meat is browned, drain the fat and add 3/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. 


Mash out canned biscuits (I buy the layered kind and peal in half) in ungreased muffin tins. Spoon in mixture and top with any type of cheese. I used 5 large jumbo biscuits and made 10 BBQ cups. We had the leftover biscuits for breakfast the next day.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. These also taste great left-over for lunch. Just pop in the microwave for a few seconds!

No comments: