Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pickled Snap Beans

When my sister and I were four, she told everyone at our family reunion that her name was Mary Pickle. Our parents never knew where she came up with that one, but I thought of it the other day when making these pickled snap beans. The farmer's market is overflowing with Blue Lake beans right now and this looked like something we would like. I used a recipe from "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea" by Martha Hall Foose.


Boil 1/2 pound of beans in salted water for 3 minutes or until tender. 


Drain and then plunge beans in icy cold water to stop cooking. 


Drain again and put in a ziplock bag with 1 cup white vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 tablespoons pickling spice (I used McCormick). 



I transferred to a jar when Ryan told me the whole fridge smelled like pickles but I think he was exaggerating!  

1 comment:

Caroline Foose said...

All we need is a Bloody Mary!