Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Women on the 6th Floor

Don't you just love Netflix? At my mom's suggestion, I watched "The Women of the 6th Floor" on Friday night. A French boulevard comedy set in the 1960s, it follows Jean-Louis, a bourgeois businessman who discovers a happier world right above his head in the community of Spanish maids who live in his family's building.


His wife, Suzanne (who complains of her exhausting days of pedicures and bridge), gets upset with their longtime maid Germaine over the redecorating of Jean-Louis' recently deceased mother's room. Germaine quits and a new Spainsh maid, Maria, is hired. Apparently, having a maid from Brittany is no longer "in." 

It's almost a French version of "The Help." And as the person who always falls asleep during a movie, reading the subtitles actually kept me awake! Plus, I feel like some of the French I learned in high school and college came back to me. Definitely a feel-good, laugh-out-loud type of movie!

No comments: