Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 238th Birthday, America!

How wonderful for the 4th to fall on a Friday! And even though Ryan is working today this is his "golden weekend" so he has Saturday and Sunday off. (This is a big deal in residency as these only come around once a month!). I've got plans with a new friend whose husband is also working today - we're going to pick blueberries and try paddle boarding. Neither of us has ever attempted so this should be interesting!


I've had fun adding to my 4th of July decorations. South Carolina was named the most patriotic state this past week and after living here a month now I can see why. Just about every home keeps out a state flag and many American flags as well. I  found these banners at Wally World yesterday. 


Last night we dined outside after the concert on Main Street. Hard to believe that over 50,000 people are expected downtown tonight for the Red White and Blue Festival




I'm reading "George Washington's Secret Six" about the spy ring in place during the American Revolution. It's a fascinating look at the ends and outs of how Washington established the spy ring and the failures of early attempts like Nathan Hale. I never realized poor Nathan (known in history books for saying 'I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country') was barely a spy for two weeks before he was caught and executed. If you're looking for a patriotic read this is a must!


And one of my all-time favorite quotes:

There, I guess King George will be able to read that.

John Hancock
On signing the American Declaration of Independence.

Happy 4th!

No comments: