Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Review & Food: The Husband's Secret

First of all, let me give a big shout out to the nice lady from New York who recommended this book to me! Our chitchatting at the oyster bar really paid off - I've found a favorite new (to me) author.

At its core "The Husband's Secret" story is a modern version of Pandora's box. Cecilia finds a sealed envelope in the attic that is only to be opened upon the death of her husband. She, after much internal debate, opens it and the secret changes their lives. I'm not going to spoil the read by saying anymore but here are a few of my impressions:

I found this book very intriguing. The plot was intriguing, the writing (especially the thoughts of the characters) was witty and I loved all the Australian elements like Vegemite and how their seasons are so different from ours.

"It was the Easter Hat Parade, and the St. Angela's mothers were out in force, dressed up in honor of Easter and the first truly autumnal day of the new season."

And food references in books always interest me, like the pavlova Rachel makes for Easter. I attempted these and this is how they turned out. I quartered this recipe by Nigella Lawson. (Cooking note: Caster sugar is just really refined regular sugar. Just run it through your blender and it will be fine).


And the last line..."None of us ever know all the possible courses our lives could have and maybe should have taken. It's probably just as well. Some secrets are meant to stay secret forever. Just ask Pandora.

Have any of you read it? What did you think?

No comments: