Wednesday, July 9, 2014

BLUEberries by Besh

After I came home with a gallon of fresh blueberries on Friday I started hunting for recipes. I love blueberries so much more fresh than when they've been frozen. Here are two I found by John Besh (both from his cookbook "My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking") that we gobbled up.

This cookbook will definitely be a defining part of my memories of this summer. I started reading Uncle Buford's copy in May when I was at home and ordered one for myself as soon as we moved. I've read it cover-to-cover a couple of times. The pictures are beautiful, but what Besh has to say is even better. His focus is on getting people away from the many packaged foods between "our kitchen stoves and our favorite restaurants" and instead encourages his readers to go into the kitchen and try. And not to be too overwhelmed by what celebrity chefs are doing on the TV. From the introduction:

I worry that the more cooking becomes entertainment and a spectator sport (instead of a family activity) and the more we fetishize celebrity chefs, the awful result is that we discourage folks from even setting foot in their kitchens. More and more, I'm concerned that by glamorizing chefdom, we turn off the very thing we seek to promote: getting people excited about cooking dinner. 

Blueberry Pancakes - you can find Besh's recipe here. I halved the recipe and it was perfect for two.



Blueberry Cobbler - you can find Besh's recipe here. Mine wasn't as pretty, but was it was delicious! It probably should have cooked a little bit longer. We served it with whipped cream, but ice cream would have been even better!


What are your favorite blueberry recipes?

No comments: