Monday, June 30, 2014

How to Smoke Cheese

Saturday our neighbors came over and asked if we wanted to watch them smoke cheese. I don't think Don had completely finished his sentence before I was halfway to his backyard! I'll let the pictures do the talking...


The key to smoking cheese (according to Don) is to have the coals hot, but not too hot, and then to add apple wood chips. He uses about half a chimney full of charcoal and lets the coals turn grey. Once you pour the coals in the smoker, let them cool off a bit. 


Each side needs to cook 5 to 6 minutes. When it's ready to flip the cheese will appear wet and be a little sticky. I got the honor of being the cheese flipper!


Grill marks!



Don and me - he thought it was really funny that I was so excited! Once the cheese comes off the grill, let cool on the wire rack and then put in the fridge to harden. Wrap in wax paper. 


Peggy's art work! We love our neighbors!

No comments: