Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A first attempt: fish tacos

There's something about fish tacos (I think it's the name) that has never sounded appealing to me. But awhile back a friend ordered some that were amazing at a restaurant. So this week I decided to give it a try with fresh tilapia. Using this recipe from Pinterest and some general instructions from the butcher at the grocery store, here's what I did:


Make a chunky salsa out of: 1 mango (peeled and diced), 1 avocado (diced), 1 tomato (diced), juice of half a lime, a small handful of chopped cilantro and green onions (chopped). Mix this all together and set aside - the lime juice should keep the avocado from turning brown but I wouldn't do this too far ahead of time just in case!


Put a little olive oil on the tilapia fillet (one half pound fillet was plenty for two people) and run fish with chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika and lime juice. 


Pan roast in an iron skillet for four minutes on each side. 


While the fish is roasting, toast four tortillas in the oven (use a large muffin pan flipped over to give them a bowl type shape). After fish is cooked, shredded and built tacos with fish, mango salsa and coleslaw. We had a little queso dip and chips on the side. This is definitely something we'll be having again! 




2 comments:

Casey Cockrell said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! I have been wanting to attempt making fish tacos but something about it always intimidated me! Definitely going to try it now!!!

Kara Paulk said...

Thanks Casey! Let me know how it goes!