Thursday, April 24, 2014

Springtime Salad Bar

While on an eight hour car trip, I tend to google random things.  On our last trip to South Carolina we started talking about Vanna White and Wheel of Fortune (my all-time favorite show and first TV memory) and how in the world Vanna stays so thin??

Guess what Google had to say? (Besides that she doesn't believe it's always necessary to eat three meals a day - which would never work for me). She said that before she eats lunch or dinner, she has a salad and then fixes a plate of whatever she's eating for her main meal. You can read the interview here.

That sounded like a good idea to us, so this week we've tried it. And it really is good. You fill up on vegetables first and then eat less of whatever. To keep it easy we went ahead and chopped up everything we had in the fridge so it's easy to pullout and quick to clean-up. It's made getting supper together quicker too. Even though we usually have a side salad, I've always just pulled everything out to make two at a time each night. 


Today we had cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots, green onion, red onion, cheese and green leaf lettuce. I've got some corn on the cob I'm planning to roast to add into the rotation. If it's easy to eat right then I probably will - and this makes it easy! All we need now are some goldfish crackers and we'd have exactly what I ate everyday for lunch at the Tri Delt house! It only took me about five years to want a salad again.

And a little Pinterest humor for inspiration…I'm not sure why I think this is so funny!


No comments: