Saturday, April 12, 2014

Sound of Music Dinner Party

I love a party with a theme! When our neighborhood association announced that "The Sound of Music" would be our first outdoor movie of the season, I decided we should celebrate with an Austrian-themed dinner party beforehand.

Ryan doesn't really get into this as much as I do, but he's a good sport and always up for cooking on the grill! The nicest thing about our house being on the market is that it was already clean, so all I had to do for the party was the fun stuff - decorate the table and arrange a centerpiece. Our azaleas bloomed this week and are beautiful! Laura gave me these pretty napkins and napkin rings for Christmas and the candle sticks are from Mama Jean and Papa Carrel.


Since I sold our patio tables and chairs in the yard sale last week and couldn't find my table cloths, we improvised with two card tables and a white twin bed sheet. We brought out the kitchen table to hold the food and drinks. 




We tried to keep the food Austrian: 


Jarlsberg and Amadeus cheeses for our appetizers. Our white wine was Broadbent from Austria. It's going to be my favorite wine this summer - very crisp and refreshing. 




Bratwurst with sauerkraut and a side potato chips (we Americanized the sides!) for our main course. 


We finished up with my version of apple strudel. This should have been rolled up like you do cinnamon rolls and then sliced, but I was too chicken to mess with the filo! I used a recipe from the 1967 version of La Cuisine: Secrets of Modern French Cooking. Instead of making the dough from scratch, I substituted filo pastry - it seemed much easier. The filling was bread crumbs sautéed in butter, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples,  a cup of sugar and a few tablespoons of cinnamon. I layered it between several filo pastry sheets and brushed with an egg yolk and butter mixture. Served with whipped cream!

The girls walked to the park while the guys took their time. Somehow they weren't as excited about a musical? "The Sound of Music" is one of my all-time favorites. I know ever word and can (but didn't!) sing along with every song. My father is the only person I know who enjoys watching it as much as I do. I love the time period, the setting, the costumes, the music and, of course, Julie Andrews!


If you're looking for a good book, check out Julie Andrews' autobiography Home: A Memoir of My Early Years. She has quite a life story! It took the wonderful ladies at our neighborhood association FOUR years to get permission to play the movie in the Being Belhaven Art Series. You can find the full schedule here. The real story of the von Trapp's is pretty amazing even without Hollywood. I find it interesting that the family's main issue with the movie is that the father seems so harsh and strict and that he was actually a very kind and loving father. You can read more here

No comments: