Monday, September 30, 2013

Meat Loaf

One of my favorite things about the seasons changing is how our weekly menus change along with the time of year. With fall I think of more "hearty" meals like soups and chili. I think meat loaf falls into this category. Mom sent me this basic meat loaf recipe awhile back and I tried it last week. Usually I'm not wild about meat loaf - I think it's the name I dislike the most! - but I had all the ingredients and needed something new to cook! I love recipes that can be made ahead of time and then just have to be popped in the oven. I think this would freeze really well too. 

 
Basic Meat Loaf
1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce, divided
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 T onion flakes
3/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 t dried parsley flakes (or fresh)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
 
Combine ground beef, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion flakes, salt and pepper. I chopped up half an onion instead of using dried flakes and used one pound of ground beef - that's how Kroger sells it! Also, if you don't have bread crumbs just chop the heels of a loaf of bread in the food processor.

 
Shape meat into a loaf and place on a lightly greased broiler pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

 
After it's cooked, combine remaining tomato sauce with parsley flakes and Worcestershire sauce and poor over meat loaf. Bake for another five minutes. We ate this twice so it would easily feed four. I served it with roasted sweet potatoes and string beans.
 
This morning I put out a couple of Halloween decorations, and Scout was excited to see his collar that jingles! Doesn't he look thrilled? I'm missing some of my decorations and I'm afraid they were a victim of my over-zealous closet cleaning out phase over the summer. Oops!
 
 

No comments: