Thursday, September 26, 2013

Literary Overload

Yesterday two of my favorite writers were in town. I was in literary heaven and blew my book budget completely into 2015. But it was so worth it!


Julia Reed spoke at the Junior League Sustainers Fall Luncheon. I fanagled my way in (since I'm not a sustainer) by selling t-shirts before and after. It was so much fun! She was promoting her new book, "But Mama Always Put Vodka in the Sangria!" She is a hoot and I'm loving the book so far!


The luncheon was at The South and the food was wonderful - chicken salad, green salad with avocado, pimento cheese and a corn/watermelon/feta salad. Her "McGee Memorial Sangria" was served and it was very tasty! I can't wait to make it.

The first (and last) time I met her was at Ole Miss in one of Curtis Wilkie's journalism classes. I can't remember which one - I took every one of his classes and loved every one. Here's a picture that someone from the DM took and sent to me of her signing "Queen of the Turtle Derby." In my typical Ole Miss uniform - Tri Delt t-shirt and whatever else was clean.


I've kept this picture on my desk at every job as a reminder and inspiration as to what I would really like to do!

After work (two sangrias gave the afternoon a nice glow!), I went to Lemuria where Ree Drummond "The Pioneer Woman" was signing books. I got there when it started - at 5 p.m. - and the line was wrapped around the building! Two hours later, I did get to meet her and she was very gracious and talked to each person, took pictures, etc. She was just as nice in real life as she seems on her blog and show!


One would think that while waiting in line for two plus hours I would have come up with something halfway intelligent to say but all I managed to get out was, "I'm such a big fan." So lame.

Anyway, she was very down-to-earth and after I some what recovered from my awkwardness, I asked her what she thought of Oxford (she was there on Monday). She said she and her daughter, Alex, stayed at the Inn on campus and that she'd called her husband about Alex going to school there, and he wasn't too thrilled at the thought of an SEC school. She also asked about "Hotty Toddy" and that was something we said? I wasn't sure how to explain that.


I must brag on DeeDee and Jane. Jane was a perfect angel in line and DeeDee, I'm guessing, is the only person who waited two hours in line who had never heard of the Pioneer Woman, read her blog or books or seen the cooking show. What a great friend!

No comments: