Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Good Reads & Fall Plants


Lately, I've read several good things.

My Bible Study is reading "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller. I actually started reading it earlier this summer after two friends mentioned it, but I'm excited to go through it with a group. One insight the author offers is this: "Learning to pray doesn't offer us a less busy life; it offers us a less busy heart. In the midst of outer busyness we can develop an inner quiet."

Ryan gave me "Cronkite's War: His World War II Letters Home" for my birthday. It's Walter's letters to his wife, Betsy, while he was covering WWII in London and Holland. I cried yesterday when I finished it - the true sign of a good book! Not that it was a tear-jerker, it was just so sweet to read their story.

I discovered a new magazine (to me anyway) at Barnes & Noble - the Summer issue of The Horse Rider's Journal. It's published in Denmark and more Vogue than Horse & Rider.

Not pictured is "American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfeld. Kim lent me this book and I could hardly put it down - it's a fictional story based loosely on the lives of Laura and George Bush (although their names in the book are Alice and Charlie and they're from Wisconsin).

And now on to other hobbies! About two weeks ago I planted lettuce and Brussels sprouts in a large tin bucket. We've already had several salads from the lettuce. The plants came from Wal-Mart and I used one part top soil and one part Digger's Delight premium potting soil with slow release fertilizer from Lakeland Home & Garden. I do believe good potting soil is the key!

Week 1:
 
Week 3:
 
 
My summer plants by the backdoor are still looking good - vinca, parsley, basil and impatiens. I think after six summers here I've figured out what I can realistically keep watered all summer long. They key is they must be in my line of sight when I'm going in or out! 
 

I took out the fading petunias out of the front urns and added lemon thyme. Also planted a mum and French marigold. Can't wait to add a pumpkin to the porch in a few weeks!


Now if only the fall weather would stick around past 6 a.m.!
 

No comments: