Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Freedom Tower

It is hard to believe that it's been 12 years since 9/11. I was in New York two years ago and at the top of my to-do list was to visit the World Trade Tower site. It wasn't complete yet but St. Paul's Chapel just across the street was and the memorials there were so touching. It was a very sombering experience.


 
Looking at the towers from St. Paul's courtyard.

 
The Bell of Hope given from London to the City of New York.

 
Memorial inside the church. The pictures and notes left by family members were truly heartbreaking. The chapel was a refuge for rescue workers and some of the beds were still there.

 
St. Paul's is Manhattan's only surviving pre-Revolutionary church. It's amazing to think of how much history has passed through this building. 


 
And for my fellow dog lovers, I came across this article today about 9/11 search and rescue dogs. I'm going to have to look for this book!

No comments: