Thursday, September 12, 2013

Following Directions

When we were at Becca's house a couple of weeks ago she made the best sausage and cheese roll-ups for breakfast. She told me what she did and so I decided to try to make some on Monday. Ryan has gotten a little tired of my fried egg or cereal options for breakfast and these you can freeze and just pull out a few as needed. It is so nice to have something hot in the morning. And even better when it doesn't involve messing up the kitchen!

I love recipes from Becca because they are straight forward and always delicious! I had the basic ingredients: bisquick, sausage and cheese. How could you mess that up?

I was half-way through the process before I decided to double check my memory by asking Becca. Of course, I'd done it wrong! I pre-cooked the sausage which then kind of melted through the biscuit dough. Then was too messy to cut up. I tried again with thicker dough and let the sausage cool and that worked better but they weren't nearly as pretty as Becca's - Ryan made sure to point that out to me!


Mix biscuits according to Bisquick directions (2 1/4 cups mix and 2/3 cup milk) and then roll out.

Top with UNCOOKED sausage (l pound made two of these) and then shredded cheese (used less than 8 oz).

 
Disaster! I ended up freezing it like this - I couldn't bear to throw it out!

 
Second try was much better!

 
Roll up from the long side and freeze until it is hard enough slice (about 30 minutes). Becca's were much thinner than this but with the cooked sausage this was about as thin as I could get them.

 
Return slices to freezer. When ready to eat bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes until sausage is done and biscuits begin to turn golden. The only thing I need now is an app that will pre-heat my oven so I don't have to get out of bed! I wonder if there is such a thing?
 
Enjoy!

No comments: