Monday, September 9, 2013

A Birthday Brunch & Celtic Fest

We celebrated DeeDee's 31st birthday on Sunday morning with a brunch and we all decide it was the perfect way to start a relaxing day! Jane was extra excited to celebrate her five month birthday along with her mama!


The menu was simple: mimosas, coffee, shrimp and cheese grits, fresh fruit and croissants. I used City Grocery's recipe out of the Square Table cookbook. You can also find the recipe here (the only difference between the two is the cookbook calls for green onions not scallions).

I'm sure the shrimp and grits would have been good left over but we ate every drop!

Afterwards, Ryan and I did nothing all day but be lazy - we watched the Saints game and then the US Open. I can't believe it went on for three sets. We had every intention of going back to Celtic Fest but the tennis match was too good to leave!

We did have a good time on Saturday at Celtic Fest. Even though it was so hot there are some indoor places that have A/C where you can go in and listen to music or watching dancing so the heat wasn't too overwhelming.

Saturday morning began with a "MarchAround" by Father of Waters Pipes and Drums.


 
The Highland Games are fun to watch. In this picture they were seeing who could throw a large stone the farthest. A guess who else was watching highland games this weekend? The Queen! I loved seeing this article - although I'm guessing highland games in Mississippi have a heat element that the Scots couldn't handle!

 
I found one of family crest's at a vendors stand. Net's great-grandfather Michael O'Rourke came into the port of New Orleans from Ireland. I went to an interesting workshop on tracing your genealogy and learned a good bit.

 
I tried to talk Ryan into buying a kilt but no luck - maybe next year!

 
Another highlight is watching the dancing - I think these girls were with Scoil Rince MacCrossan. They were all ages and really good.


Can't wait for next year!

No comments: