Sunday, August 4, 2013

Skinny Squash Casserole

I've been tweaking my squash casserole this summer and I think I've finally got it! I love squash casserole but something filled with butter, sour cream and cheese kind of neutralizes the benefits of eating a vegetable. This is my version of a skinny squash casserole - let me know what you think!


Skinny Squash Casserole
4 medium yellow squash
2 T butter
1/4 t salt
1/2 t Cavender's Greek seasoning
8 oz reduced fat sour cream
1/2 c Parmesan cheese - I used the can but fresh would be even better
1 c whole wheat bread crumbs (save the heels of your bread and crumble in the blender, freeze until ready to use)

Slice the squash and cook in salted water until tender - about 15 minutes - over medium high heat. You'll know it's ready when a fork easily pokes through it. Drain the water and add butter, salt, Greek seasoning, sour cream and Parmesan cheese. Pour into a greased 9x9 dish and top with bread crumbs. Dot the top with a little butter. Bake at 350 degrees until hot - about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Crady said...

Have you tried using Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream?