Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pete's New Beginning

"There is something about the
outside of a horse that is good
for the inside of a man."

This quote by Winston Churchill says it all, in my opinion. Yesterday, my family's much loved horse, Pete, went to a new home! I know. It was sad. I have cried.

BUT I am also very happy for him and for his new owner, Abby. Look at this wonderful picture:


She is 12 and Pete came into my life the summer Sis and I turned 12 - I don't know what I would have done during those challenging years of junior high when everything is awkward and girls are so judgmental about everything without sweet Pete. He taught me a lot about responsibility, sticking up for myself (usually against him), and finding out about what I enjoy in life. There's something about being able to control a 1,000 horse that makes you feel sure you can handle life.

Pete wasn't our first horse but he was the first horse that was kid-rideable. My prayer is that Abby gets as much enjoyment out of her partnership with Pete that I did. The relationship a girl develops with her horse is so special. And one that stays with you.

Here's a picture of me and Pete the summer of 1995:


I think my smile and Abby's match!

You can read more about Pete here, here, here and here. Although, my prediction on that last link didn't hold true. Sorry EM!

No comments: