Thursday, July 11, 2013

Berry Picking, Pie Making and a Decade of Friendship

Last Saturday I picked five quarts of blackberries at Locust Grove Berry Farm on West Countyline Road. It was so fun and it looks like they will have blackberries for another week or so. I got home and wondered exactly what I was going to do with five quarts of blackberries - I didn't have enough containers to freeze them all!

 
 
I made Blackberry Sauce based on a Williams-Sonoma recipe where you bring a 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil over med-high heat and then stir in 2 pints (about 4 cups) of blackberries. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally about 8 minutes until berries break down. Transfer to a blender and add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. Puree and then strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
 
 
My set-up: I used a Cuisinart "smart stick" instead of a blender and used a funnel and mesh strainer to  get out the seeds and pulp. I plan to use the sauce over ice cream and in smoothies - the goal, of course, is more smoothies than ice cream!
 

I used this recipe for my blackberry pie and realized later that I forgot the butter in the filling but we didn't miss it. The best part was eating it with Chad, Kristen, Witt and Katelyn - they came over last night for supper and we had a great time hearing all about their recent mission trip to Mexico and catching up on life in general! We met them exactly 10 summers ago - a few weeks before they got married when they were looking at the house they ended up buying next to Ryan on Salem Road in Oxford - and were immediately the best of friends.


Ryan instructing Witt in his first violent video game. Oh, the things we'll be remembered for...



No comments: