Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Newsroom

Have you seen The Newsroom on HBO? I'd read reviews and just love Olivia Munn and Sam Waterston so I was excited to catch an episode recently. I just love it -- even if I agree with this review in The New Yorker about how it's filled with artificial intelligence. I don't think people really talk like that in newsrooms -- at least not in ones I've been in (which are way down the media food chain), but it's still very entertaining and educational for those who don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes of media.


The show reminds me (in a way) of Back to You - the FOX sit-com that was on a few years ago starring Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton as co-anchors at a Pittsburgh news station. The show didn't make it - it was one of those shows hurt by the writer's strike - for a second season. Interestingly, Grammer and Heaton were both already shopping for their next shows -- Heaton for ABC's The Middle and the creators of the show, Lloyd & Levitan, went on to create Modern Family which includes Back to You star Ty Burrel as Phil. Phil's father, Willard, played sports anchor Marsh in Back to You.

Can you tell I'm getting excited about fall TV shows?

Photo from VanityFair: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/04/aaron-sorkin-hbo-newsroom-olivia-munn



1 comment:

annabclark said...

Haven't seen this show, but am equally excited about fall tv shows! That's almost all we can talk about at our house!