Tuesday, August 14, 2012

As I Lay Dying

James Franco is directing and starring in Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" and it's going to be filmed in Canton! I went last week to the open casting call to try out for an extra role. They originally wanted to shoot the movie in Oxford this fall, but because all the hotel rooms were already booked for football games there was no room for the cast and crew.

The movie is rumored to star Paul Dano, Michael Shannon, Joaquin Phoenix and Richard Jenkins with Franco directing and will tell Faulkner’s gloomy tale of a poor Mississippi family trying to move their mother’s corpse through rough terrain, on a wagon, according to On Location Vacations. I remember reading this in English class in high school and be totally grossed out and loving it at the same time.




I was number 149 and got there about 20 minutes before it started. Everyone was given a script to read but by the time they got to my number it was announced that the powers that be in Hollywood had called and were only looking for females that could pass for a "very young 16 or 40." I decided my self-esteem couldn't handle it if they told me I could pass for 40. So I just had my picture taken for an extra role and didn't read. Elise did give me an acting lesson while I was waiting in line though! 

The casting director (guy in the red shorts) was mostly looking for "country boys" ages 8 to 10 and one of my neighbors tried out - you can see the back of his head in the picture above. I hope he gets it!

1 comment:

Lee and Kim said...

This made me laugh. No, you most certainly do not look 40, and that, my dear, is a very good thing! :) Maybe this will be your big break! They'll see your face and realize you're exactly what they've been looking for all along. :)