Sunday, July 8, 2012

Leading a Horse(s) to Water

Have you ever heard the old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." After a little positive reinforcement with Pete and Angel, I respectfully disagree. Especially if that positive reinforcement is an old coffee can full of sweet feed. 

The point was to get Pete and Angel (Ivy's horse) to follow me into the pond. To see that it isn't as scary as they thought. But who am I to decide that? I really don't want to know the creatures that reside in that greenish-brown water! The final goal is to have them "swim" with me (on top of Pete) in the pond. Don't worry - I didn't swim in the pond but they both got a little more practice!

I've tried to get Pete to do this since I went to horse camp at Camp Hopewell in middle school where we spent our last afternoon of horse camp swimming while riding bareback. It was so exhilarating!

Anyway, Pete and I have been working on this off-and-on for at least 15 years - he can be a bit stubborn - apparently, so can I. And all we really needed was Angel to go in first!


Pete, as you can tell by his body language, thinks this is a b-a-d idea. But he sticks around because of the feed bucket, and Angel doesn't seem to be nearly as worried.


Angel decides to go for the bucket. I had already given up at this point - and I turned around to find her in the water going after the feed bucket. Pete then quickly followed her in! So he did get in the water. Victory!

I love how Angel throws a little hissy fit when she can't fit her nose inside the bucket. Such a human behavior to throw a fit when we can't get what we want - especially if it seems to be right under your nose!

*Please forgive the bad videography job, I'm sure only my mom, Ivy and true horse lovers made it through both videos!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kara! Loved the video. And guess what? I had no problem watching both all the way through! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

by the way. this is Aunt Bonnye!