Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hello Blog World!

Did you think I'd dropped off the face of the earth? Well, don't fret, I'm here! We've had a very nice start to 2012 - Ryan has stayed busy, busy with school and I am so proud to say that med school is half-way over. You may have heard me shouting for joy when his last exam was over. Now, he's in full-study mode for the STEP 1 exam that happens the last week of May. Then you will probably hear him shouting for joy!

I made a quick trip to Senatobia mid-week to celebrate the life of a very dear lady and in the process got to spend the morning with sweet Elizabeth Magee!


We checked out the new playground at the Methodist church - she approved!


We also checked out Granddaddy's bench at the park. We had a short visit with Net and then headed home for a nap.

I was so glad to be able to attend "Big Elise's" funeral - it was a true celebration of her amazing 106 years of life. My memories of playing with "Little Elise" at her house when she lived next door to Mammy are wonderful and numerous. We would have tea parties and play Go Fish or Old Maid. For breakfast, she'd offer us oatmeal with a side of bacon (where she would generously sprinkle bacon bits on top of our oatmeal) and take us to get Happy Meals for supper. I went to a bridge club game at her house about a year ago and I felt transported back into my childhood sitting in her warm living room watching her, Net and their friends enjoy the game. They were very patient trying to teach me to play. And very quick in telling me what to fetch from the kitchen.

Elise gave a wonderful eulogy and her grandmother would have been so pleased! Mrs. Veazey attended Senatobia's 50th, 100th and 150th celebrations - how amazing! It tickled me that both ministers began their remarks with exactly what, when and where she had instructed them to say - and then proceded to do just that. One of her grandsons remarked during the service that Elisie would often say, "You can't win a slam if you don't bid a slam." That applies to bridge and so much more.

I hope you bid a slam.


4 comments:

Lee and Kim said...

Whoo hoo! Welcome back! :)

Becca said...

Glad you're back! Missed you.

Kara Givens Paulk said...

Thanks ya'll!

Nonninbarr said...

Missed your lovely words! Welcome back.