Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grillin' Time

Just about every Saturday morning the Williams-Sanoma here offers a free cooking demonstration and last weekend Net and I took advantage. It was fabulous.

Menu: grilled flank steak with a grilled salad with feta and a lime vinaigrette dressing. And bagettes.

I was so eager to try it at home, I made the meal the next night for our supper and Ryan was very impressed. I made a few subsitutions: You can't find skirt steak in this area so I used flank steak (look for one with marble in it). I think it was $12 at Kroger and would feed 4 to 6 easily. I cooked it on my Lodge cast iron grill pan about 6 to 7 minutes per side.

When it's finished you pour on 2 T belted butter, 2 gloves peeled garlic and 3 spings of fresh thyme. Melt all this in a small sauce pan while the meat is cooking and baste meat occasionally. After the meat is cooked (we cooke to med-well at 165 degrees) let it "rest" for 10 minutes before you slice - this is very important or only the first slice will have juice. Next time we're going to cook it on the grill outside and I think it will cook a little faster and be more tender.

On Monday for lunch we still had boiled shrimp and romaine lettuce leftoves and so we just whipped up this little lunch:


I felt like I should get to go sit on the beach with a good book after such a great meal and not go back to work! But back to work I went.

For the lettuce: Heat grill pan to medium-hot heat. Cut romaine hearts lengthwise  and grill about 20 seconds until slightly charred. Transfer to plate and cover with any kind of crumbling cheese (feta, cotija cheese, blue cheese, etc).

For the lime vinaigrette: Juice 3 limes plus zest of 1 lime. Whisk together the lime juice, zest, 3 T fresh orange juice, 1/4 c chopped cilantro, 1 chopped garlic clove and pinch of sugar. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup of EVOO and season with salt and pepper. (I'm about out of olive oil so I did about 1/4 cup EVOO and 1/2 cup canola oil - that's what many restaurants do to make olive oil stretch faster).

To grill baguetts drizzle with olive oil and rub peeled garlic over bread. Grill and set aside.

*Let me take a second to brag on Jackson - the lady who gave the cooking demo at Williams-Sanoma said our store was the only one in the country who did the cooking demos on Saturdays instead of Sundays since the store managment had quickly discovered there wasn't a big enough of a Sunday crowd since nearly everyone goes to church.

No comments: