Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What I Did in NYC

1. I had a great cup of coffee and inhaled an amazing cinnamon roll at the picturesque Two Little Red Hens bakery on the Upper East Side and seriously debated whether or not I could manage a box full of cupcakes and cookies on the way home. I decided against it.


2. Fraunces Tavern - I love any historical building and to think that George Washington bade farewell to the Continental Army in this very tavern made my glass of wine taste even better. It's so amazing to see something so old next to huge, modern skyscrapers. It's not that far from the 9/ll Memorial and just a few streets over from Wall Street. If you eat there, they'll give you a free pass to the museum upstairs (the guy working the museum desk was also kind enough to charge my phone for me while I walked around the museum!).




3. I loved wandering around Greenwich Village and loved seeing the Friends building. It's at the corner of Bedford and Grove and there's a little restaurant in the bottom of it - it's not nearly as cute as Central Perk though! I also saw the home of the Huxtable's at 10 Leory/10 St. Luke's.



4. Columbus Circle - As far as atmosphere goes, this area was one of my favorites. I had a great piece of pizza at Francesco's Pizzeria on Columbus Avenue between 68th and 69th Streets after the Millionaire taping. The Museum of American Folk Art, Julliard School and Lincoln Center are all in the area.



5. Trinity Church and St. Paul's Church - Once again such beautiful old buildings in the middle of Lower Manhattan really stood out. George Washington's presidential pew is at St. Paul's church (Trinity had burned and wasn't rebuilt until 1790) along with memorials from 9/11. It was definitely a miracle that the church survived without major damage and housed rescue workers for over a year. Alexander Hamilton is buried at Trinity.




6. Museum of American Folk Art Gift Store - This museum had the best gift store (and the best prices) of any I went it. The 9/11 National Tribute Quilt is made up of 3-inch squares each with a name of a person who died in the 9/ll attacks. The squares made up a photo of the New York skyline.



7. Watch a show - or stalk Reggis - I did both! After waiting in line for over two hours, I found out that for those of us in the standby line for Reggis & Kelley (I was No. 14) were not getting in. There was lots of bonding in the line and I had a great conversation with some Memphis people. Even though none of us got in, we did see Reggis walking from his apartment building across the street to the studio. Fortunately, one of the assistants for Meredith Vierra's Who Wants to be a Millionaire show came by  with tickets to her show ad I was so glad I went!



8. Wander around Central Park - This place is huge! On Saturday morning every street was chalk full of runners. There are two ice skating rinks that weren't open yet but looked like so much fun. Just a warning for the wise though, the Cheese and Crackers House doesn't serve cheese or crackers. It's just a name for a visiting center. That was very disappointing!




9. Ride the subway - The best part of this was people watching. Here's a hint: If you find yourself unsure of where you are, it's better to ride the thing all the way up or all the way down. You may (or may not) find yourself in a very diverse situation! To navigate your way around just remember if you are going Uptown or Downtown and then East or West (divided by 5th Av). Also, all subways are on avenues (which run north and south). The Express train will get you there faster than the Local.


10. FAO Schwartz - This is your chance to be kid in an amazing toy store. Slide across the piano from Big (like Tom Hanks), design your own Muppet in the Muppet factory and make your teeth ache looking at all the candy.



I loved New York City but was so glad to get home!


4 comments:

Becca said...

Looks like you had a great time!! So much fun. I can't wait to go one day.

Signy said...

Love it!

Nonni's Blog said...

Great pics. You got the best of the city from what I hear. Love to go one day.

Karie said...

You got to do a lot!! It was so nice meeting you! :)