Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Getting Lost in Bloomingdales

Did you know before it was known as the Big Apple, New York City was nicknamed the Big Onion because you could peel off layer after layer and never get to the core?

No? Well, I didn't either before starting to plan this almost-last-minute trip to the Big Onion Apple. It's one of the nifty bits of information I've gleaned from A Thousand Places to See Before You Die.

I've been singing this song all week: I'm leaving on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again. Because I'm leaving this morning (yay!) for New York City. And, Lord be willin', I'll be back on Saturday night. So I really do know, but that wouldn't make a very good song, now would it?

So far, this trip has one main goal: Don't get lost in Bloomingdales.

Why not, you might ask?

Well, because the one time I've been to NYC was about 12 years ago. And guess what? Sis and I got lost in Bloomingdales. This was before the days of cell phones in the hands of every teenager and we were a wee bit excited about being turned loose in the BIG CITY and didn't really pay attention to the sunglasses stand where we were supposed to met Mom, Dad and Thomas in exactly one hour.

Guess how many sunglasses stands there are in Bloomingdales?
I have no idea and I really had no idea 15 years ago.

Guess what it takes to make the department store people page the entire Bloomingdales department store?
One distraught mama.

After they paged us over the loud speaker (think: would the two girls from Mississippi please report to lost and found on the balcony level). At this point I get very excited because we've been "rescued" but Sis gets real annoyed that we are going to look like tourists and doesn't want to rush over there so no one will know we are the "lost girls from Mississippi." We found our way to our family. And Thomas made friends with a little old lady who didn't know how to drive a car and had never heard of anyone having a pet duck. I think they both made quite an impression on each other!


Later that afternoon on the subway.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Have a great time!!! And, be safe. We can't wait to hear all about it.

____Maggie said...

Looks like so much fun! Pick me up a little something at Tiffany's, would ya? lol

I fixed your Top 10 list Kara. :D