Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Duck Pizza

Did you know we are just a little over a month from the start of duck season? We have a countdown going on in this house. In an effort to clean out our deep freeze before hunting season starts again, I've tried to get creative with Doc's favorite fowl, duck. So last night, after consulting the great minds on Google, I came up with this recipe for duck pizza.



First, I made Mama Jean's pizza dough (on the Sideboards tab the 9th recipe from the top) and then made a pizza sauce (recipe below). Then I topped it with: bag of pizza cheese from Kroger, chives, 1/2 cup caramelized shallots, spinach leaves and sliced, cooked duck.

To caramelize the shallots you chop 'em up and then saute in an iron skillet with a little fat (butter or I had left over sausage grease) until golden-brown. Shallots are members of the onion family but they look like garlic - they have a milder flavor than regular onions but you could substitute onions here for the shallots. Also, I read several recipes that added fresh rosemary. I meant to add that but forgot!

Doc's only complaint was that it needed more duck! I wasn't sure how "wild" the duck would taste but it was really good (and I'm that big of a duck fan).
Pizza Sauce
6 oz tomato paste
6 oz warm water
3 T Parmesan cheese
1 t minced garlic
2 T honey
3/4 t onion powdered
1/5 t oregano
1/4 t marjoram
1/4 t basil
1/4 t ground fresh black pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/8 t salt

Whisk the tomato paste and water in a small sauce pan over low heat until well mixed.
Add all other ingredients and mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes.

No comments: