Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Well Fiddle-Dee-Dee

Well fiddle-dee-dee it's finally hump day.

I'm on my way to Atlanta for an alumni event and really looking forward to seeing how our alumni relations team operates in action. I don't know why going to Atlanta always makes me want to watch "Gone with the Wind" for the one hundred thousandth time?

Once, while on vacation in France, Sis and I watched the whole movie dubbed in French and got every word. Not because we speak French, just because we have the movie memorized.

My friend Elise was obsessed with Scarlett and Rhett growing up. She even had a life-sized cutout of the duo in her bedroom - like the ones you see in movie theatres - and named her dad' horse Rhett. I read this quote (said by some academic in during the film's 50th anniversary) and immediately thought of my dear friend: "Scarlett embodies the bad girl that burns at the core of most of us, the greed and hunger that no amount of civility and adulthood can ever entirely repress."

But don't worry, I'm going to be on my best behavior while I'm in A-lan-ta and will be leaving my pantalets at home. Here's some food for thought from around the World Wide Web:


Inspiring Friend


My friend Holly recently quit her job as an architect to focus on her dream - building designer playhouses. Isn't that cool? I very much admire her, and her husband's, commitment to follow her dream. You can see her amazing ideas here: http://aplaceimagined.blogspot.com/. Doesn't this house remind you of Eeyore? I LOVE it! It's big enough for an adult to stand up straight in so that after its use as a playhouse is over, it could be converted to a potting shed or small workshop.

Funny Article

Here's a funny story about chickens in Nashville's fancy Belle Meade neighborhood on Styleblueprint.com. It's a hilarious blog and will make you want to move to Music City to be around such fun people.

Weekend Plans

Planning your weekend? Consider doing the Miriam Weems Memorial Dog Trot-5K Run/Walk on Saturday morning. The run starts at 9 a.m. and goes through the Belhaven neighborhood.


These two will be making an appearance - if we can relearn how to nicely walk on a leash before then. I love how in this this picture - taken September 2008 - you can tell that Pepe is not really sure about this little creature called Scout. And Scout is totally distracted by a dust bunny or clump of dog hair.

Words of Wisdom & Trivia
taken from: http://fiftiesweb.com/movies/gone-with-wind.htm

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.  Scarlett O'hara

--2,000 women were interviewed and/or tested for the role of Scarlett. The studio decided to film the burning of Atlanta first because they had some old sets that needed to go, so they figured, hey, we'll burn and film them. The legend says that at this exact moment, with "Atlanta" burning in the background, Vivien Leigh showed up with then boyfriend, soon to be husband, Lawrence Olivier, and was hired by producer David O. Selznick.

--Clark Gable didn't really want to play the part of Rhett Butler, but they offered him a bunch of money which he needed so he could divorce current wife, Rita Langham to marry sweetheart, Carole Lombard.

--Stuart Tarleton was played by George Reeves, who we all know, became TV's Superman.

--And Gerald O'Hara's beautiful white horse? Well, Hi-yo Silver! The same horse was the was the Lone Ranger's beloved Silver.



Who woulda thunk it? Happy Hump Day!

No comments: