Friday, September 9, 2011

Weekend Project - Patio Water Feature

There's something soothing about the sound of running water. It's peaceful. It's relaxing. It's calming.

And it's totally missing from my back patio. Except if you count when I've accidentally left the hose on all night - oops! Last weekend Aunt Carole showed me the one she and West built out of an old horse trough. Isn't it great?


Felder Rushing, a horticulturalist who lives in Jackson but travels all over the world talking about gardening and plants, offers some ideas for water gardens on his website:


I try to listen to Felder's show "The Gestault Gardener" on Mississippi Public Broadcasting on Friday mornings at 9 a.m. (it repeats at 10a.m. on Saturdays).  He spoke to my Garden Club last year (it was our only program that had anything to do with gardening) and is full of great ideas on how to make your yard/garden beautiful in inexpensive and practical ways.

There's also more information on water gardens here and here.

So, can you guess what's at the top of my weekend to-do list? Papa Carrel and Mama Jean are going to be here visiting, and I'm hoping to rope PC into hooking the pump up for me. They're returning home from a Caribbean cruise celebrating their 62nd wedding anniversary - I think a good home improvement project should bring him back to the real world. Happy Friday!

No comments: